Everything has risks. Knowing what those risks are and how to reduce them is the secret to success.
Check list for a risk-free safe barbeque season.
1. Carefully clean out any particles, dust, and cobwebs that may have built up over the winter.
2. Clean your burner ports to ensure they are free of dirt and rust.
3. Ensure the barbecue hose is in a proper condition, and it is free of cracks. Gas leaking can result in extreme dangerous flames.
4. Check to ensure that all connections are tight and that there are no leaks.
5. Rusty, damaged propane tanks should be replaced by 10 years of age or less.
6. Call a certified fuel appliance repair person if you do not feel comfortable completing safety checks yourself.
7. Fire safety and first aid- Have a Fire extinguisher and first aid kit handy and learn the basic steps to handle fire and treating burns.
8. Food Safety- Suspect Everything, Keep it Covered, Keep it Cool, Get it Hot!, these simple steps will keep you safe from food poisoning.
9. Smoke- Avoid prolonged exposure to smoke to avoid reactions from chemicals like carbon monoxide and Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons (PAH). These chemicals are common in grill smoke and in extreme cases can cause cancer.
10. Location is everything when it comes to placing your grill or smoker. Choose a open place which is away from building, trees and other flammable substances.
Check out our “Need-to-Have Items for Throwing the Perfect Summer BBQ”-
1. Weber Stainless Steel Gas Grill from Sur La Table – The ultimate grill for BBQs both big and small.
2. Salt and Pepper Sampler from Orvis – It reasons to season your burgers, steaks and chicken with plenty of salt and pepper before it even touches the grill. We love this sampler that offers four different types of each.
3. Sweet Baby BBQ Sauce from Soap.com – Meat, meet your new best friend, the fastest growing BBQ sauce in America.
4. Ladder Ball Game Set from Meijer.com – What’s a BBQ without lawn games? Get the party started with a friendly game of ladder golf (water hazards not included).
5. Iced Tea Maker from Macy’s – The perfect way to stay cool and hydrated on a warm summer day.
6. Bamboo Tiki Lights from Walmart – Deck out your yard with tiki lights to keep the party going all night long.
7. BBQ Pizza Stone Kit with Grilling Mitt from Overstock.com – Not all BBQs have to begin and end with burgers – we love this all-inclusive pizza stone kit for making pies right on the grill.
8. Plastic Wine Glasses from Rakuten.com – A must-have item for any outdoor party that is often overlooked.
9. Cintronella Candles from Linens ‘N Things – Keep the bugs away and the guests will stay!